Sunday, August 2, 2009

Tomorrow a Penthouse: Quest for Stardom in NYC – Day 2

Sadly sitting on my pull-out bed at 7pm, mourning the loss of my free wi-fi connection, I await confirmation that coming to New York was really a good idea at all. Yes, I love this city and cannot wait to live here someday. But, no, I do not enjoy the lonely confines of my aunt’s apartment with the two cats and bedtime around 10pm. I also do not enjoy waiting beside my blackberry for some form of communication from (a) my world at home or (b) a job opportunity.

I am not a patient person. Supposedly this is a hallmark of stage managers but when I am outside the realm of my job, I am just that bitch who can’t handle being a minute off schedule. I have come to terms with this aspect of my personality but I am not sure how it will affect my future endeavors in the theatrical world. In one way, it may help me because, well, stage managers are hired to keep things running smoothly and on schedule in a very artistic and often ill managed business.

In another way, it may hinder me because most theater people are artists and artists tend to avoid the concept of time. They are the first people to complain about people not getting in touch with them and the last people to return an important phone call while the information is still prevalent.

Tomorrow, apparently, I will show up at the Ohio Theater to work on god knows what with some woman I have only exchanged one email with. The lack of communication was not due to me not trying. I sent her approximately four emails to her one response and then appeared on the door step of the theater and begged for information.

Overall, I felt as though I was a starving actress, waiting for a casting agent to give me the time of day. And I didn't like it one bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment